Saturday, July 26, 2008

Freak Out!

First, I must tell you that I have "Le Freak" by Chic playing in my head right now as I post this. If I could figure out how to add music to a post, or my site, then I'd put it on there so you could all join in. It's a fun little disco song. And, side note, 'freak out' was code for 'fuck off' in the song - so yeah, it makes sense that I like it so much. But I digress....

I am totally freaking out about the baby registry! Well, honestly, I'm freaking out about a lot of "to do" things right now - but the baby registry is top of the list. I am so overwhelmed by all of the stuff that you need for babies. Really, overwhelmed! Have any of you ever been to Babies-R-Us? Going in there still gives me a bit of a panic attack, it's just so much to try and fit into some sort of condensed list of "must haves." I am trying to attack it in my usual rational, list-making way - but then I freak out over the research. I mean, am I just buying stuff off the list that may kill my baby? Shouldn't I research all these items to find out which ones are best for my baby? I've tried to do that for the big items, but then Miss Breezy will email me about bottles - and I'm like "Fuck, I thought bottles were a gimme. I gotta research that too?" Damn you Miss Breezy (just kidding)!

Yes, I could have bigger things to freak out about - and I do. I mean, has anyone seen the news on Wachovia? Yeah, I love having a husband who works there - constant source of worry. And then there's my company, going through it's own downward spiral and continual lay-offs. Oh, and let's not mention that they're getting ready to "roll out" a new compensation plan, which is not for the better (from what I've heard on the rumor mill). And let's not forget my house, which is in disarray and seems to never be on the way to shaping up. Oh, and there's the fact that I'm 6.5 months pregnant and still haven't signed up for any of the birthing classes. So, yeah, should probably get on top of that pretty quickly too.

I can't post anymore...I need to get online and research. Time's a'wastin! Everyone sing, "FREAK OUT!"

10 comments:

RZ said...

I say you should kick it old-school with glass bottles. Non-toxic, easy to clean/sterilize, recyclable… Of course I've never actually researched the issue, so I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons why glass baby bottles are a huge no-no. Oh well.

For the must-haves, try to imagine this is 1920, or even 1950. What would you have needed back then? I mean, generations of children were raised (successfully!) with fewer frills than we all take for granted as "necessary" today. Start with the absolute basics—remember Maslow's hierarchy of needs? Focus on the bottom two levels, i.e., physiological and safety needs. Food, diapers (and associated cleaning supplies), clothing, a safe place to sleep, and safe transportation—that's pretty much all Lima Bean really needs for the first few months. Sure, there will be other products that can make your life easier, but focus on the basics first.

(Easier said than done, I know. Sorry, I'm talking out of my ass here!)

Breezy said...

I think Beckers makes great sense! So many of these "must haves" today are really gimmicks. Sure they might make someone's life easier, but who says they'll help your little one at all. The best thing I've read says "resist taking off the tags or throwing away that gift receipt". You could register for a bazillion things and still have to go out once Lima is here. So, research the important stuff (carseat, bottles, diapers, food)...but hey, don't get caught up in all the hype the "best" thing for one person may not be the best for you.
Side note: This by no means is meant to sound like I knew what I was registering for or have the perfect registry...I sort of went with the go-down-every-aisle and scan-some-shit-in-each-section, method.

Stacy said...

OMG - I can't believe you broke out the Maslow in a blog comment. Hello psych nerd! :) We went with glass bottles - less likely to be poisoned with toxic chemicals. As for the others, I gave up and put a bunch of shit on there that other moms say you need. I figure the first kid we go crazy for, the second gets what's left over from first. You know, in the tradition of all parents.

CRICKET said...

hey there,
try and relax and enjoy. you don't need much, clothes, crib, diapers. most thing you can pick up at the drugstore, i just noticed they sell almost EVERYTHING FOR BABIES
good luck!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

The only advice I can offer is towards glass bottles too. I'm sorry you're so stressed out! Maybe you need a brownie or some ice cream. Ice cream makes everything better in life!

Buford Betty said...

I agree - a lot of the "must haves" are crap. Not that I'm a mom or know what the hell I'm talking about, but seriously...

Tara said...

Just give him breasts the whole time till like he has teeth or 4! Just kidding! As tara would say to stacy..."MOMMA"

CindyLooHoo said...

You are too funny! I guess I am behind on the news- what's going on with Wachovia?
Let me know when you have tackled the registry, so I can go on and peruse Lima's goodies!!!
Miss you girl!

NB said...

Thanks a lot, Stacy... now I'm freaked out about all the things to think about when there's a baby on the way, and I don't even have a baby on the way :) And the Wachovia comment did not help either (I work there). But hey, it does help to know that other people freak out too, and about everything all at once, like I do! Take a deep breath, and know that you will get it all done. And from what a good friend tells me, who just had a baby in January, apparently you can't really mess them up as long as you take care of the basics (like food, and keeping 'em clean) and provide lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Time to update! I miss you!