Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Girl, You Better (Net)Work...

Can we talk about how looking for a job is a full-time job? I haven't had to work this hard to find a job since I was a fresh-faced new grad jumping into the rat race. I had forgotten what an arduous process the job hunt can be, especially now that the landscape has changed so drastically with the addition of social media. And let's not forget that employers generally prefer to meet candidates that are currently employed, not those that have been a mom for the past two years. Oh, and the recession and unemployment at an all-time high. How could I forget about that?? *sigh*

I literally apply for at least one job per day, if not more. I am stalking the top companies in the area, particularly those with openings in my fields of experience. I have reached out on Facebook and LinkedIn, and have just generally bugged every single person I know. I am particularly obsessed with one company, and recently emailed the potential hiring manager directly for an open position for which I am definitely qualified. I received her information from someone who works at the company and is "connected" to me through another friend on LinkedIn. What is the etiquette for this type of email? I just winged it, but am wondering if it will help me or hurt me. Any advice out there?

There is no point to this post. I am just really ready to return to work, and I don't know what else I can do...besides hope. Two of my good friends started new jobs this week after searching for much longer than I, so I am hoping that job offers come in three's (like deaths, births, etc.). Please let me be the third. Mama needs to use this brain for more than just negotiations with a toddler. In the interim, enjoy some job hunting humor from the web.

No comments: