Friday, March 4, 2011

Not So Dewey

Can I just talk about my luck with libraries? I am a huge library supporter, and have been since I was a child. I love books, love reading, and love the atmosphere of the library. So, I was excited to go to our local library today and get my new library card (since we moved and all). I park and see that the library is huge and rather new in comparison to my former haunt off Independence in CLT. So I am stoked! I have a list of books that I have been meaning to check out (get it, library humor) and this library in Cary is so going to hit the spot. I got my card in minutes and was off on the hunt. But wait, have I been away too long? Did how books are categorized and shelved change in the last few months? Because I am looking and looking and seeing none of the authors I need. I went to the handy-dandy PC and checked, and a few of my list are "checked in" to the library so what gives? I go back for another looksy. Still no luck. Okay, now I am feeling like an idiot but refusing to go ask for help. I will not let the librarians see me sweat! So aimless wandering it is, until I figure it out.

When did we decide to start categorizing our Adult Fiction sections? Is this a Wake County thing? I am used to Fiction, Non-Fiction, Young Adult Fiction....but Romance Fiction, Mystery Fiction, Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fiction sections? Really?? I am at a library, not Barnes & Noble. Fiction is fiction, just alphabetize it and keep it simple. What's worse is that the qualifiers (Mystery, Romance, Sci-Fi/Fantasy) are in such small print, that it isn't noticeable off the bat when you are wandering about in the Fiction area. Very annoying. Unless this is how it has always been, and then I guess I'm just a dolt. But I swear that Mecklenburg County libraries didn't sort their fiction like that - it was just a huge Fiction section in alphabetically order by author.

In the end, I found only 3 books and only 2 from my huge list. Apparently this library, while shiny and new, is in the boonies and all of the good books are in a more centralized library in another part of Cary. So yet again, I am on the waitlist for several books. Ugh. Mecklenburg County all over again. Going forward I will just check online before heading to the library...but it does take some of the fun out of a trip to the library. On the positive side, they have a lovely children's section and I will definitely be taking Ben for future trips.

PS - I checked out the following, in case you are interested. I gotta get my GoodReads button back up.
The Gates by John Connolly
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

PPS - Thanks Beckers for the recommendations!

No comments: